BBG exists as an information resource for the community, government, industry and science and as a center for Learning. It’s also a place of beauty for visitors to enjoy.
The 45 acre botanic garden is located in the Cayo district of western Belize, nestled in a valley along the banks of the Macal river, surrounded by the foothills of the Maya mountains.
We are open every day from 8 am – 4 pm.
Guided Tours are available 8 am – 2 pm.
What’s the cost?
- Adults US $7.50
- Children US $ 5.00 (7 -12)
- Children 6 and under free
- BBG Members free
Guided Tour (1.5 hrs) – Includes General Admission
- Adults US $15.00
- Children US $ 7.50 (7 -12)
- Children 6 and under free
Explore the Garden’s many hidden gems with one of
our experienced garden guides!
Food & Drink
- Snacks & cold drinks are available at the Visitors’ Center.
- We can provide lunch for 4 or more persons, with advance notice.
- You are welcome to bring your lunch and picnic anywhere in the Gardens. There are picnic tables near the Visitors’ Center and tables & chairs inside.
Can be found at the front-office and Visitors’ Center.
- Tropical Fruit Orchard
- Native Plant & Orchid House
- Zingiber Alley
- Cycad Circle
- Native & Exotic Palms
- Rainforest Trail
- Fire (Lookout) Tower
- Traditional Maya House
- Maya Medicine Trail
Other areas of interest include – A working organic nursery; bird-hide by the pond; savanna & agroforestry projects; butterfly garden, tea garden and river-walk trail to the Macal River for the best beach and swimming around.
How to get to BBG
Easiest way to get here is to arrange transportation from where you are staying or find a local tour operator to combine Belize Botanic Gardens with another nearby attraction.
From San Ignacio, head west on the Western (Benque) Highway for 6 miles. Look for the Belize Botanic Gardens sign on your right; Turn left at this junction and follow signs for 4 miles.
Visitor Parking is located next to the Garden-entrance.
See Map with driving directions.
Taxis from San Ignacio will bring you to the Botanic Gardens for around BZ $40-50 (US $20-25). For an additional BZ $20 they will wait 2 hrs, enough time for a guided tour.
Round-Trip Shuttle Service – You can make your reservations at the Garden Shop in San Ignacio; – US $20 per person.
Free Shuttle – If you arrive on your own, you are welcome to ride back to San Ignacio with our staff at 4 pm (any day) at no cost.
Belize Botanic Garden is recognized for its diverse collections, which includes fragile, rare, and endangered plants. For everyone’s enjoyment, for your safety, and for the protection of the plants, we ask that visitors:
- Stay on paths and out of planting beds, and do not climb trees
- Do not pick or eat anything without a garden guides OK first
- Supervise children; no running or shouting
- Enjoy the quiet and relaxing nature of the Garden
- Our plants are happy here. Please don’t take them home!
To have your in-country questions answered
call: 671-3322 or 671-3321